Tuesday, November 3, 2015

October Adventures

October just finished, and what an adventure that was! I had to shake my head at how close some of those adventures were, and yet the fun has just begun. What am I talking about? Two words:
Interview Season.

I am now in my fourth year of medical school, which means that I need to find a residency for next year. I applied to quite a few places, and now have some interview offers. In order for this not to drag the post too long (this is supposed to be half life stuff and half knitting), Here is a summary of where I have been:

October 2nd: Come home from Cleveland, Ohio (where I was on audition rotation for 2 weeks)
October 7th: Pack bags for flight to Philadelphia
October 9th: Board exam in Philadelphia
October 10th: Drive from Philly to Binghamton, NY to meet up with parents and watch my brother in his first NCAA swim meet, then drive back to Philly to barely catch my flight home!
October 13th: Pack bags for Red-eye to Lexington, Kentucky
October 14th: Drive from Lexington to Pikeville, had lunch with residents and then a panel-style interview at Pikeville Medical Center, drive back to Pikeville, was locked out of the terminal because TSA closed at 10pm (who knew?), and spent the night covered in blankets on a out-of-service coin-operated massage chair, then flew home at 5AM EST, arrive 9AM EST and go to clinic (Pediatric Neurology)
October 16: Pack bags for Red-eye to Columbus, Ohio
October 17th: Arrive in Columbus, drive 2 hours to Athens, Ohio, for interview at 9AM on a Saturday, then drive back to Columbus for flight home.
 October 24th: Pack for Red-eye to Boston
October 25th: Arrive in Boston, drive 2 hours north to Augusta, Maine, for dinner with the residents
October 26th: 9AM interview with the faculty, then all-day tour and interview of the facilities and multiple clinics, then drove back to Boston to barely make flight home.
October 30th: packed for 5AM flight to Grand Rapids, Michigan
October 31st: Flew to Grand Rapids, will be stationed in GR for the next month

Whew! And that is October! I've got November with a few interviews, December with a few, and January with some as well! It's going to be a long interview season, for which in some ways I am grateful. The alternative of NO interviews is definitely NOT preferable, and a scary prospect to consider. I am grateful that there are programs out there that want to interview me, and see my training potential and skills.

<Start Knitting Section>
Now, finally onto the Knitting! October has been Socktober, as I followed along with the Carolina Fiber Girls podcast's Soctober contest. While I did not get the most points scored, I did decently well. I had a final pair of socks on the needles that would have garnered me almost 50 points had I finished them, but I had to pull an all-nighter on the 30th to finish packing, which meant most of my knitting time in the airport and on the airplanes was catch-up sleep time, and the sock did not get done in time. But nonetheless, I had a great time knitting socks, and I even memorized Meghan Williams's OMG socks heel pattern, so now I don't have to keep looking at them any more!

Here is what I finished:
1. Watermelon Socks! The yarn is by Abi Grasso, and were quite hard to obtain. I had to PM her on Etsy and custom order it. But I saw the yarn knit up on Tapgurl Carmen's Instagram feed, and just had to have a pair of watermelon socks of my own! The one small thing I didn't like was that the yarn was light fingering, which meant my normal gauge was all off-kilter.
2. Grandmother's Socks!
I had this yarn in my stash for a while, and had been meaning to knit them up. It is Highland Handmades, and I don't quite recall the colorway, but I think it was called Hard to Match, or something like that. The yarn is SUPER soft, and I couldn't quite believe it was only 100% merino. I could have sworn that it was MCN or baby alpaca. Such a joy to knit with! And since my grandmother has size 5.5 feet, these socks were finished practically in a blink.
3. Baby socks!
My parents were going to visit China, and I wanted to get something for my baby nephew. He is almost 3, and since Shanghai winters are super cold, I figured some 100% wool socks would keep his little feet nice and warm. I used the Knitmore Girls recipe for toddler tube socks, and hopefully they will fit his feet.
Works in Progress: 
1. I am just finishing up the second sock in the pair of Rack 'em Stack 'em, which is a Fibretown design. I am using a Socktober colorway: Carolina Dog by Lilliput Yarn. The colors are teal and purple, which are gorgeous together. It also reminds me of my high school 
 2. I finally got to start knitting on the Nothing Says Screw You Like a Rainbow socks, but my Knitpicks needles broke AGAIN, so this project is a sad ball of sock and tangled yarn, which I did not bring with me to Grand Rapids.

3. Although I did not win Socktober the Contest, I was able to catch a Socktober-only update that Lollipop yarns had especially for the CFG listeners, and scored my first-ever skein of lollipop yarn! It is so gorgeous I don't want to knit with it, but my father needs some Christmas Socks, and I can't think of a better person to gift with Lollipop socks. 
 4. Finally, I of course had to buy some yarn after getting to GR! I stopped by a store called Threadbender because I needed to buy a new needle, and they had an entire stand full of Knitted Wit Gumballs! This was the perfect solution for me, since I want to knit ALL of the Knitted Wit colorways. I picked out a few of my favorites, and I am going to knit them all together into stripey patchwork socks.Can't wait!


This again became a longer post than I anticipated! I hope everyone is doing well, and enjoyed Halloween. I spent it in a hotel room, where I was going to knit, but then fell asleep with the lights on and the needles still in my hands. Hope everyone had fun! 

Best, 
~Z

No comments:

Post a Comment