Monday, January 19, 2015

Socks, Socks, and More Socks!

Hello 2015!
I hope everyone had a good holiday season. Mine was filled with studying for the Surgery COMAT, and getting my knitted gifts ready! I had more finished objects than I had expected, which was quite nice. I finished the prayer scarf for the Alice's Embrace, as well as socks for my brother, and a pair of socks for myself. I was lucky that my brother was in China for a couple of weeks during the holidays, so I could finish his socks after the Christmas holiday and still gift them to him for "Christmas" without spending too much of my studying time on them.

I have started on my rotation in Family Medicine this month, which will go for two months. It's been fun, hectic, and somewhat nerve-wracking all at the same time. On one hand, I've thoroughly enjoyed being at this location because I am familiar with the office, as both of my parents and myself used to go to this family doctor. In addition, I am VERY interested in family medicine as a potential career choice, so it is nice to be able to get to see and do this rotation under the tutelage of a family friend. On the other hand, it is somewhat frustrating because I am still a third year student, and there is a LOT that I don't know, so I can't do as much as I want, and I don't want to disappoint or look bad in front of the doctor that I've known for a long time. Finally, there are so many patients in the morning that we barely get to breathe! I know that it is typical for primary care of any sort, especially since the passage of the ACA, but it is magnified even more here, as the doctor is a very well-established physician in town, and he has a LOT of patients to start with, even before ACA. 

I have a LOT of WIPs, most of which are socks. I have been on a sock kick lately, as my knitting awareness realizes how many different kinds of socks there are out there, and since I bought both Big Foot Knits and Sock Architecture during the Knitmore Girls Podcast's 25 days of enabling (There was a discount for books from Cooperative Press.) It's been fun, but sometimes my hands feel like doing something else besides fiddling with fingering weight yarns, so I've also been working on a chunky cowl. But still, all I can think of is socks, socks, and more socks! It's almost-instant gratification, to go in 2 days from balls of yarn to something to keep my feet warm. Actually, this morning, I took a hit to my ego when I decided that I wanted to wear my chunky socks today. I had 2 rows to go and the bindoff, so I put the finished one on one foot, and was furiously working on the other one. The room was really cold, and my foot was freezing when I finished it and realized I had, in my haste, bound it too tightly. I was forced to put on a different sock to keep my foot warm while I frogged the rows back and redid the bind off in a more stretchy manner.

I've decided that this year, my word is LEARN. I want to learn more about medicine, more about OMM, and more about knitting. I want to learn as much as I can, and explore the paths that can only open once you've gained knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment