Saturday, December 13, 2014

Ortho Surgery craziness! AND New WIPS, and yarn goodness!

I'm on my second week of clerkship with the orthopedic surgeons, and it's been a crazy week!

<non-knitting life notes> I was in the OR with the preceptor surgeons from 7am to 11:30pm on Monday, where we repaired two fractured ankles, cleaned up 3 meniscus (menici?), and replaced two knees with artificial knees. It was amazing to see the surgeries in person after reading about them, and I was so happy that the doctors let me scrub in. I don't get to do much beyond retraction and suturing, but it was still great to get some hands-on experience! Tuesday and Thursday were office days, so we didn't do much except see the patients coming into the clinic. It was still good to get experience of taking history and doing physical exams, as it is all practice for when I have to handle the patients on my own in the future. Wednesday was another crazy day, as we were in the OR from 7am to 10:30pm, and did 11 cases, including one shoulder rotator cuff repair, one elbow cartilage cleanup, one ankle fracture repair, a partial hip replacement revision, three arthroscopic ACL repairs, one knee meniscus clean-up and cartilage microfracture, and two other cases that I can't even remember right now. I also had to finish writing up a paper that was due this week, and look up some tests that the preceptor wanted me to report on. All in all, it has been a crazy busy, stressful, and fun week all wrapped up in one. </end notes>


I finished up my cabled mitts, and immediately cast on a second pair, this time in pink. I was going to give the mint-colored pair to a friend, but seeing as I ended up wearing them a few times, I'm going to keep them for myself, and make a pair for her. :) That's my excuse anyway. Mostly, I just like doing the large cables in worsted weight yarn. It makes me feel accomplished. ;)

I also started knitting my very first pair of DK weight socks. It's an interesting experience. I think all considered, I might actually prefer knitting socks in sockweight. DK weight is quite heavy on the needles, and the pattern tweaks I made are making the sock larger than I thought it would be. I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough yarn to make both socks...Ah well. I guess worst comes to worst, I'll just have mis-matched socks.There are worse things in life than mismatched hand-knit socks.

And finally, my box of Knit Picks yarn is here! I was so excited that I started casting on for a sock immediately. The wool is so soft, I can't even believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment