Friday, November 28, 2014

Yarn Haul! And a visit to a LYS!

I had been feeling bad that I hadn't visited any of the local yarn shops in town, so I searched around (Google and Ravelry), and found that there was a really cool shop not too far away, called Sin City Knit Shop. It was on my way back from school today, and since I had taken a tough exam today, I felt that I deserved a little fun time.

I loved visiting the shop, and though it was a quick visit, I liked what I saw. They were having a sit-and-spin session in one corner, and a few ladies had spinning wheels out. There were some large tables where you could sit and knit all day, and the walls were covered in shelves of colorful yarn that I could just stare at (and knit) all day! I also LOVED their collection of funky and cute knitting needles.

The saleslady was quite pleasant, and let me browse as much as possible. I wasn't going to buy anything at the beginning, but I got caught up in the specialty yarns, and ended up buying a hank of specially-dyed for the store worsted weight striped yarn, as well as a ball of sock yarn that I'm hoping to knit into socks for my mom.

It was great to see yarn outside of big box stores, and I'll hope to visit the store again soon, though my wallet probably won't welcome it as much. The one thing I do have to say is that yarn is a bit more expensive in the local yarn store, as is fabric in a local quilt shop, but it is worth it, to make sure that people can earn a living, and that we are contributing to the local economy. :) I can't afford to buy much, but given the choice, I try to spend as much as I can at the local economic level.

Now, back to my socks! Happy Knitting! ~Z

No comments:

Post a Comment